Monday 29 June 2009

Arrrrrcon

Another late June means another Arcon . One of the highlights of the year, this con brings opportunities for large amounts of gaming, nerding, seeing people one sees once a year or at least rarely, and also occationally meeting new people. This year's programme looked less promising than usual, but there's always something fun to do and most years I've been there I've found new fun games I'd never tried before.
This year the only thing I was really looking forward to besides seeing people I see at Arcon was a minilarpthingie called Salem 1906 which was about witchhunts in Salem in 1906 and looked rather interesting.

Anyways, for simplicity I'll put this chronologically.


Thursday:
Thursday I isn't really a day of the festival, it's just the day people rig stuff and get the place ready to take in 500ish nerds on Friday. Due to fixing stuff with our new flat I arrived later than planned and people were mostly done with stuff I was useful for, so my rigging consisted of carrying 2 plates for Warhammerplaying. The rest of Friday evening consisted of first playing Warhammer Fantasy RPG (which was lacking from the official programme his year, much to my annoyance), and later Talisman.

Friday:
First real day of Arcon, fixing more flatstuff made me miss the first group, 2nd group was the aforementioned minilarp. 
The setting was Salem, Massachusetts, 1906. 123 years after the famous witch trials, witches are again to be found in the town. A witch has created a plague, and the players play various characters in the town whose goal is to find the witch and burn her/him.
I played a wealthy landlord, was tried and found not guilty for witchery once, and had to see my wife sent off to be burned rightfully as a witch as the end of the larp. My "wife" was played by a guy 3 times my size :|
The larp was really fun, it is supposedly available online somewhere but I can't remember where and am too lazy to find it so go dig it up and play it. I think I played something after the larp was finished but I can't remember what, might be I didn't play anything more that day. Ended the day at the pub.

Saturday:
Saturday is usually the main day so to speak, at least for my part. I planned to play either D&D 3.4 or Agricola in the first group (starting at 10) but woke up at 10:10 and didn't bother stressing to the con (I live 2km from it so I slept at home) and missed the first group. Played Munchkin Quest in the 2nd group. I had never played it before but I'd played Munchkin which is pretty much the same except the dungeon map and the monster figures roaming it. After some confusion and people (including me) giving away their spots in the final I ended up with a spot in the Sunday morning final after finishing 3rd or 4th or something. (2 people went to the final). Munchkin Quest was fun, I need to get that eventually.
After Munchkin Quest I played RoboRally, which has been one of my favourite games (at least if it's with the right group) since I first played it some years ago. The group I played with on Saturday was great, and playing was really fun.Playing it with a guy I used to play stuff with 1-2 times a week a few years ago of course made it even better. Didn't make it to the final, would probably not have played it anyways. 
After RoboRally there wasn't more official programme but since I missed Agricola in the morning and it loked like a rather interesting game some of us tested that. It was reasonably fun and looks like it will be very fun once I learn to play it. Have to play that more. I think though that the highlight of Saturday was meeting a new person I hope I'll have some contact with between Arcons as well as on Arcons. People who not only enjoy playing games but who also are fun to be with is always a good thing. Appearently we'd been pretty much neighbours for a year too, which is a shame since I'm moving now and won't be able to exploit that neighbourship.

Sunday:
Sunday was the last day and I played my first ever final (I think, I have qualified for at least one before but don't think I participated in any), in Munchkin Quest. I won as long as you read the results list from the bottom and upwards, which of course is the only sensible way to read it. Saying goodbye to people I probably won't see for a year was as usual not fun but years go fast :p

1 comment:

Wannabe advokat said...

Thx for linking to my site containing content for specially interested people.
I have played Munchkin once, and I like the idea. But i didnt quite understand the rules, they seemed pretty random, but random is nice.